Monday, October 8, 2007

The not-so-great pumpkin





Daycare was closed today, supposedly because Christopher Columbus decided to sail the ocean blue in 1492, so here I was, three Whos in hand, once again. Snot was flowing freely, but sanity was teetering on the brink. What's a mom to do? Go to the pumpkin patch, of course!

So I loaded up the Who van and we trekked up the road to meet Thing One and Thing Two and their Mama Thing. Up in the hay wagon we went (it was 90 degrees in October -- what's THAT all about?). Out to the pumpkin patch we lurched, only to have Baby Who promptly decide that she was hot and hungry and highly annoyed by this quest for the great gourd.

We made fairly quick work of finding little pumpkins for the little pumpkins. Then back in the wagon we went for our happy trot back to Whoville.

No Whos fell out of the wagon. Who I did at one point decide she couldn't get out of the pumpkin patch by herself. so Who II went back in and got her (a rousing RAH RAH for big sister, who recovered nicely from her earlier episode of biting Who I's thumb because Who I wouldn't cede the hand sanitizer to her). All in all, a success. Baby steps, yes. And yes, the Mama Thing took my big girls to the port-o-potty because I had Baby Who strapped to me like a hot, sweaty grenade. But darn it all, we had our first outing without two parents to herd the brood. And we all returned alive.

Naturally, I came home and celebrated with a wee glass o' wine.

Other highlights: Baby Who discovered the baby piano. Jerry Lee Lewis, eat your heart out. She also discovered the Asian baby doll that's Just The Right Size. Who is this creature, she seemed to be wondering. (Hey, it doesn't pee, poop or urp -- it's my fourth child!). Oh, and I heard myself yell at the Big Whos, "Put the magic wand down NOW and no one will get hurt!" A fine moment indeed. (OK, I'm still rough around the edges here.)

Happily, all the tots are snoozing now. The snot has flowed to a trickle. Tomorrow is a school day for the big 'uns. And I have clean laundry -- a shirt with no snot/drool/dribble/urp on it is quite the luxury, no matter how ratty the fabric.

Ah, life. It's good, no?

2 comments:

Kelley said...

What a hilarious tale! We have that unseasonably hot, hot, hot weather too! I can't wait for it to cool off.

RamblingMother said...

those pics are adorable esp of Who 3 inspecting the interloper baby.

Beverly