Sunday, September 23, 2007

Guangzhou

Greetings from Guangzhou, where it's hot and steamy but we're glad to be out of the big cities and away from the traffic.

Our flight out of Nanchang was a nightmare -- China Southern had a 6 hour delay, no reason cited (certainly not weather!). We didn't arrive at the White Swan until 2:30 a.m., with lots of babies who hadn't slept and very tired parents. But the babies were real soldiers, did a great job.

We passed our medical exam with flying colors, despite a runny nose that hasn't quit and has evolved into an ear infection. We stopped by the White Swan clinic last night for some good Chinese medicine and hope to be on the mend before we hit the plane Wednesday morning.

The shopping in Guangzhou feels different this time -- I'm not buying everything in sight, but being selective and opting for quality over quantity this time. We found a beautiful painting of a Caucasian mother with Chinese daughter (and cat!). I'm thrilled, but my greatest Chinese treasure is Who III, who continues to amaze and delight despite her cold.

Today we strolled through the park and saw people doing Tai Chi and ballroom dancing. It was absolutely lovely.

Yesterday saw us visit a very expensive jade shop. Nice to look, not so nice to buy on our budget. But I did get a picture of the Lamborghini Guangzhou dealership for hubby. He'll be thrilled!

Later today we'll go bargain for pearls. Whee!

Mom's been a great traveling companion, willing to see everything and go everywhere. But I"m sure she'll be glad to get home to the super pups.

Probably our last post from here, as we'll have our Consulate appointment and try to pack all our goodies up for a safe flight home.

USA, here we come!

2 comments:

catbertie said...

Be certain to visit Starbucks for me!! It was under construction this past February, but I would have loved a latte!!!
blessings,
Cathy

Shirley said...

Hey there. I just got your website off of the Poyang message boards..I also traveled with Colleen and my daughter is Bo Can..aka Olivia Grace..we have been home since July 19th. nice to meet you..check out my blog..
Good luck to you!!!