Monday, August 10, 2009

Milestones







It's been an eventful week here in Whoville. The cage is gone. So is Cousin It. and the first 12 years of life inside a school have begun!

We kicked of the week in grand style, disassembling Baby Who's crib and officially agreeing with her indignant declaration that "I a Big Girl now!" We hadn't planned to set her free to move about the cabin just yet, but a scheduled visit from our friendly window installer necessitated moving all furniture at least two feet from the windows. And since Baby Who's room was starting to resemble a furniture showroom, with the twin bed just waiting for her to grow into, it seemed like it was time to say a nostalgic farewell to the crib that has kept the little monkey confined so well for almost two years. Oh, and did I mention we did it on a school night? No, we're not right in the head.

But she loves it.

A few days later, it was off to the marvelous Zefan for haircuts. Only this time, Baby Who got to go too. Mind you, the child is nearly 3 and has never had her locks trimmed. And, um, it showed, though Grandma Mimi was uncharacteristically tactful in not mentioning that her youngest grandchild had long ago begun resembling Cousin It. I knew I was going to have to do something when the dermatologist, who was looking at the Who-lette's skin, NOT her hair, said abruptly, "You really should cut her hair." That was in May. I finally got the guts to do it in August -- not because I didn't like the Pebbles Flintstone look that kept her scraggly wisps out of her eyes, but because Uncle Who is finally getting hitched, the Whos are going to be flower girls, and I don't want his future in-laws to think we're really the great unwashed. Or, in this case, the great uncut.

Baby Who, by the way, did marvelously. And she can see now without hair devices and no longer resembles a TV character or a shaggy dog.

Both events would have been enough to send this Mama Who into tearful sniffling as she realized her babies were growing up. But today was the final straw -- the Big Whos started kindergarten!

We took the traditional front step photo before heading off to school. Then I took some more when we got in their classroom at the church where they'll attend kindergarten.

As you can see, Who II was psyched -- it's nearly 9:30 p.m. and we're still scraping her off the ceiling as she continues to declare, "I had a very good day! I love kindergarten!"

Who I? As my dear papa knew so well, a picture speaks a thousand words. And I don't think any of them are printable.

4 comments:

Ellie Monster said...

Hi Whos. I love following your blog. Your daughters are adorable. I think I commented once before you brought home Baby Who, but other than that, I'm usually just a "lurker" (although I hate that term). However, I wanted to e-mail or comment to let you know that in Who I's thrilling first day of school pic (HA!), her first and last name are shown on her name tag. I was going to e-mail you privately, but I couldn't find your e-mail. Feel free to delete this comment. I just wanted to give you head's up in case you didn't want that info public.
Glad to see nothing is askew over in the land of Who. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Xiaoyu said...

They are so so so so so cute!!!!!
Lily is taller and prettier~^_^

Pink Evita said...

Oh wow, just can't believe they started Kindy. Gah, it's not possible. Hope they love it. And the littlest? Wow, where is that 11 lb. of nothing you brought home a few years ago? She is simply gorgeous. Glad to see all is well gearing up for school.

Unknown said...

All the Whos look great, and we didn't think Baby Who looked shaggy, but she is definitely "stylin" now.

What a happy crew! Thanks for sharing with all of us in the blogoshere.

Kristen, Dave and Jenny Mei

(visit us at daveandkris@blogspot.com)