Sunday, August 5, 2007

The mouths of babes

My two girls had a rough week. Mama was out of town on a business trip, and their routine was disrupted in a big way. I wasn't there to take them to school in the morning or to sing the dreaded braindead-purple-dinosaur song at bedtime. No big-big hugs or big-big kisses to be had. Singing it over the phone just didn't cut it
-- but thankfully none of my colleagues witnessed my performances!

It sucked for me at least as much as it sucked for them. Who II told me on the phone, "I cried for you, mama." Ditto, baby. Ditto.

Coming home has been hectic but sweet. DH is grateful to have another set of hands. The Whos are putting me through my paces while being especially affectionate. Even the cat seems happy I'm back.

Last night, Who I was talking about baby sister still waiting for us in China, and about my trip, when suddenly she put her head on her daddy's shoulder and announced, "You're my FAMily." I nearly bawled.

Children bring a unique perspective to our lives. They let us peer through the looking glass with them, delighting in things we might otherwise dismiss as ordinary. They enchant us with their imagination, their laughter, their innate goodness. They hold up a mirror so we see our true selves -- a picture that might not be as flattering as we'd like. And sometimes, they bring us to our knees with the simplest of statements.

We may look different. We may have different backgrounds, different life experiences, different hopes and dreams. But we are family. It doesn't get any better than that.

1 comment:

catbertie said...

We (Mom and me) had just settled ourselves into the room we stayed at in Beijing- I decided to check my email and saw that my DH had sent an email shortly after dropping us off at the airport. It seems little Lucy had a major meltdown with sobbing that went on for several hours (I'm telling you this to be prepared) saying, "I'm going to miss my Mama!!" I don't think I had cried that hard for a very long time......But, soon her questions were more about baby sister and less about when I was coming home. My DH had a map to show her where we were and they "watched" us fly home via the same flight maps you see in the planes- shoot they knew before we did that we were detouring to Alaska!! Invest in the Panda phone... the best $200 spent. Make certain the Two Whos have activties daily to look forward to (Lucy spent the night with a couple of friends, trips to the museum, etc.). They and you will do just fine!!!!