Thursday, June 28, 2007

Life's a Beach



When I planned a long-overdue vacation, I decided it would be Girls Only. Seemed like a great bonding time -- me and two precious 3.5-year-olds frolicking in my old New England stomping grounds, slurping frozen lemonade, eating delectable scallops and soaking up the sun at one of the nicest beaches in the land.

Guess what? It was all that, and more.

The girls had a great time. They claimed my friends as their own -- a new set of honorary grandparents for sure. They played well together with seldom a spat. They traveled like troupers, despite a three-hour layover in Detroit. Me? I got the worst sunburn of my adult life. While spraying the 50 SPF on the girls liberally, guess who I forgot? Moi.

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Pain aside, five days away was good for the soul. My work cell phone did not ring. My blood pressure stayed low. And I had the best sleep I've had in years. Now, how to make that happen in the hurly burly world that is daily life?

Something to chew on ...

No comments: